Saturday, March 13, 2010

Linoleum Woes

My second try at a green cleaner was for my linoleum floors.  We live in a rental house cursed with faux stone linoleum.  It looks nice and all, but I believe in every inch of my being that it leads to people mopping less often, especially if you live in a rental house.

This recipe is meant for a traditional mop and bucket, so it takes a little more effort than a Swiffer, etc., but it seems to do a better job for me.

Recipe:
  • 1 cup vinegar
  • 1 tablespoon Murphy's Oil Soap (Made with vegetable detergents, advertised at 98% natural)
  • 2 gallons hot water (or enough to fill up your bucket)
Effectiveness:
It worked pretty well.  I have to say, it worked about the same as any floor cleaner I've used.  When you mix it together, it does turn a milky color, so it's easy to see when you need to change your water.  It doesn't leave a "clean" perfume afterward, but that may be a plus for you if you're sensitive to perfumes.  I did notice I had to go over the mud tracks a my dogs leave a couple of times to really get it clean, but I think that has more to do with the amount of dirt than anything else.

Pros:
  • Very cheap.  It cost roughly 15 cents to fill my bucket.  You couldn't even tell I had used any of the Murphy's Oil Soap.
  • No heavy perfume smell
  • Easy to tell when to change the water
  • No stickiness after cleaning, no need to rinse
Cons:
  • No heavy perfume smell (if you like that sort of thing)
  • Not a very heavy duty cleaner, more for everyday
On the whole, I think I will continue to use this recipe.  It worked as much as any commercial cleaner does, but is a lot cheaper.  I'm still shocked to see what a big part vinegar has in green cleaning.  It's apparently the main ingredient in everything!

No comments:

Post a Comment