Wednesday, July 7, 2010

Birthday Pie--Take One

So if you follow my other blog, you know that yesterday was my birthday.  The husband and I did a very low-key evening at home, and for my guilt free desert (because you can eat anything guilt free on your birthday), I made a chocolate pie.  It turned out good enough to post, but I'm going to make some changes in the recipe for you guys.  Hope you enjoy!

The first draft of the pie.  Yours will look different.
Ingredients:

  • Oreo pie crust
  • One cup milk chocolate chips
  • One package neufchatal cheese
  • 1/2 cup sugar
  • 1 tsp vanilla extract
  • 1/3 cup cocoa
  • 1/4 cup milk
  • Walnuts to garnish
  1. Melt the chocolate chips in a double boiler.  Add a splash of milk to thin.  Spread over bottom of Oreo pie crust.  Allow to cool. 
  2. Mix the neufchatal, sugar, and vanilla until smooth.
  3. Add the cocoa and milk, mix until thoroughly combined.  Spread over chocolate layer. 
  4. Garnish with walnuts.
  5. Allow to chill in the refrigerator for at least an hour. (Best the next day)


I changed the layering because the chocolate becomes so hard that when you cut the pie, the soft layer just oozed out.  You could also do a thinner layer of chocolate, but that's just no fun. Is it?

2 comments:

  1. Yum!! I'm fascinated by the cheese in the recipe - I don't think I've ever heard of that kind. But still - YUM! Oh, and happy belated birthday!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The cheese is really similar to cream cheese. It's slightly lower in fat and has a more mellow taste. You could use cream cheese instead if you wanted. They're usually side by side in the dairy case.

    Thanks!

    ReplyDelete