Monday, March 15, 2010

Indian Tex-Mex (Is that a thing?)

I've been trying to add more variety to my cooking repertoire lately, much to my husband's chagrin.  Some times they turn out good, others bad.  This one turned out good, although my husband and I both agree it's an occasional dish.  Maybe when we're feeling really international.

It's based on a subscription recipe card that I inherited from my mom.  I know for a fact she only used a handful of them.  Most of them are very strange, but this one turned out pretty good, with a couple of tweaks.

It's called Nasi Goreng, but we call it Indian Tex-Mex.

Ingredients:
  • 1 lb ground meat (we use lean ground beef, but it's up to you)
  • 1 bell pepper
  • 1 medium onion
  • 1 large apple
  • 1 large tomato
  • 2 small tomatillos (these look like green tomatoes, they have a papery husk on them.  Make sure to remove the husk and wash well)
  • 1 clove of garlic
  • 2 tbs curry powder (as hot or mild as you'd like)
  • Cooked rice (we use brown for the extra texture)
Steps:
  • Brown the ground meat, add garlic.
  • While browning, chop the vegetables and add them as you go.  I usually put them in in this order: onions, bell pepper, apple, tomatillos, tomato.
  • Add curry powder and cook until vegetables are tender. (As slow as I chop, that's usually only about 5-10 minutes after I finish)
  • Serve over hot rice
It's a pretty easy dish.  I added the tomatillos for their tartness.  It counteracts the apple and the sweet curry taste without drowning them out completely.  It could look fancy if plated correctly.  Let me know what you think!

2 comments:

  1. Thanks! I've tried it a couple of times and keep tweaking it. I think the tomatillos were a really good addition this time.

    ReplyDelete