Monday, March 15, 2010

Let it Flow!

I live in an area notorious for hard water.  While at my house, it's not that bad, I can still see the effects of it.  One of the biggest problems was my shower head.  It's a standard issue, but half of the holes were completely clogged, or barely issuing out a spray.

I had used some commercial products, to little avail.  They helped a little.  I found the following idea on http://www.doityourself.com/stry/makecleansupply.  (At the time of posting, the site was down.  Hopefully it will return soon)

Recipe:
I put a sandwich bag filled with enough vinegar to cover the holes and tied it around my shower head.  Then I let it soak overnight and flushed it with water the next morning.

Effectiveness:
I think it worked pretty well!  It seemed to have unclogged the shower head completely. It worked as well as the commercial products, but didn't blow them out of the water.

Pros:
  • Cheap, as always
  • Set and forget style of cleaning
Cons:
  • Awkward to set up
I'd recommend this to anyone, as long as they have a stepladder and a spotter! More and more, I'm astonished by how much vinegar does!

No comments:

Post a Comment