Thursday, April 8, 2010

Veggie burgers--need a tweak

So last night I tried my hand at making black bean burgers.  The taste was fabulous!  But the texture was a bit mushy.  Hopefully you guys have some suggestions that can put them over the top.

I got the idea from Allrecipes.com.

My version:

Ingredients
  • Big can (25.6 oz) of Bush's black beans
  • half an onion
  • whole bell pepper
  • 2 tsp minced garlic
  • 1 tbs Tony's
  • 1 tbs ground cumin (my new favorite spice)
  • 1 egg
  • 1/2 cup Italian bread crumbs
  • sliced Provolone cheese
Steps:
  1. Drain, rinse, and dry can of black beans. Then mash them (a hand masher works best)
  2. Mince onion, pepper, and garlic in a food processor.  Then add to the bean mix.
  3. Add spices, egg, and bread crumbs to the mixture. Form 5-6 patties.
  4. Pan fry on medium head for about 5 minutes each side.  Put cheese on top, lower heat, and cover the pan.  Let cook for about 3 more minutes.
  5. Serve and enjoy!
The burgers were pretty mushy.  I really loved the taste of these, so I hope you try them out!

Any tips on how to make the burgers more sturdy?

4 comments:

  1. Howdy - I am Jamie's cousin Sunnie :) Your burgers sound AWESOME (I am not a meat fan). Maybe if you used some all-purpose flour instead of the bread crumbs it might make them more sturdy? Then again you might run the risk of them being "thick and pasty" if you used the flour....I will ponder this one. I love food conundrums.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey, Sunnie! That's a good idea. I think I might put a handful of flour in their the next time, maybe in addition to the breadcrumbs. Hmmm. I like to ponder, too. I just don't have the experience to figure it out most of the time! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks like your beans are bringing a little too much moisture to the party. Other recipes I've seen use 1/2 cup of crumbs to a 16oz can vs your 25.6oz. You might want to up the bread crumbs or add other moisture absorbing ingredients. (oatmeal comes to mind) Also make sure to drain the beans, etc.. thoroughly and perhaps dry them with paper towels before mashing. You could also make a big batch and try freezing some to see if that helps sturdy them up. And remember the most important rule of cooking burgers, only flip once!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, I like the idea of oatmeal in it! I think that'll mix up the texture, too. I did notice that the leftovers were a lot firmer the next day. I think it might help to mix them ahead of time.

    I always mess with my burgers way too much! It's so hard to leave them alone.

    Thanks for the tips!

    ReplyDelete